Monday, April 2, 2012

Bon Iver- "Skinny Love"

"Skinny Love," by Bon Iver is about love, loss, and all things beautiful. One can't even fathom the utter beauty of this song- from the echoing lo-fy guitar melody, to the almost weeping and passionate voice of Justin Vernon. I can feel his pain; his loss. Every word sung gives me goosebumps, and spiritual empowerment- like non that I've ever experienced before. It's almost magical.

The lyrics speak of someone who is hurt; someone who is suffering. This is clearly expressed when he sings, "Pour a little salt, we were never here." It's as if someone is pouring salt on an open wound-that wound being his broken heart. It's as if he says the pain of you leaving is not enough, so you have to make it worse by torturing me for loving you. He also says, "Cut out all the ropes and let me fall." Listening to his voice, I can just sense his fear and desperation. While he still loves you, it's trying him mad. It's like he doesn't want to be committed to you, so you just have to let him go. Every time I listen to this song, I can connect and relate to these lyrics. I just want to curl up in a ball next to the fire, while listening to his voice on a cold winter day. 

This song is no average breakup song. You'll never here this grace and beauty coming out of the Biebs. When I hear Justin Vernon (Frontman) utter the lyrics, there's substance beneath these lyrics. When I hear Bieber singing songs similar to this (if that's what you can even call it) there's no substance, and no depth. Justin Vernon broke up with his girlfriend, broke up with his band, and moved to this wilderness. That gave him inspiration to write his song, and many others on his LP. This song is one of my favorites. The voice of Vernon is powerful, and the lyrics are just perfect.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssdgFoHLwnk


No comments:

Post a Comment